San Diego Comic-Con, the highly anticipated gathering of nerds and enthusiasts, is just around the corner. However, this year’s event will see some major Hollywood brands taking a step back, causing speculation and anticipation among attendees. With the Writers Guild on strike and the Screen Actors Guild threatening to follow suit, caution seems to be the prevailing sentiment. Despite some notable absences, there is still hope for exciting news and announcements. Let’s delve into the studios that will be present, those that won’t, and the ones that remain uncertain.
Expect to see Mutant Mayhem at Comic-Con.Image: Paramount
Studios Attending San Diego Comic-Con 2023:
- Paramount: Paramount is expected to host a panel highlighting its upcoming film, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem.” While other projects like “Sonic 3,” “Gladiator 2,” and “Transformers One” may not be discussed, fans can anticipate an exciting presentation.
- Prime Video: Though “Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power” may not be ready to unveil season two, there are expectations for The Boys spinoff “Gen V” to make an appearance. Additionally, fans can look forward to updates on “Good Omens” and “Wheel of Time.”
- Lionsgate: While the movie division might not be attending, the TV division of Lionsgate is likely to present a glimpse into the upcoming John Wick series, “The Continental.”
- Max: Max, known for its animated content, is expected to have a presence at the convention, primarily focusing on its animated offerings.
- Warner Bros… Maybe: There are rumors circulating about Warner Bros.’ attendance at Comic-Con. With an impressive lineup including “Blue Beetle,” “Aquaman 2,” “Dune: Part Two,” and “Wonka,” it would be an ideal platform for DC Studios to engage with fans and discuss the future of DC.
Marvel Studios won’t have a Hall H panel this year.Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez (Getty Images)
Studios Not Attending San Diego Comic-Con 2023:
- Marvel Studios: Marvel Studios, known for its grand panels at Comic-Con, will be absent this year. With uncertainties surrounding their future schedule, fans will miss out on updates for “Loki” season two, “Marvels,” “Deadpool 3,” “Captain America 4,” and other highly anticipated announcements.
- Lucasfilm: Having recently hosted its own event, Star Wars Celebration, Lucasfilm has already revealed a significant portion of its upcoming projects. With “Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” already in theaters, there isn’t much more to add at this time.
- Disney: As other Disney brands won’t be attending, Disney’s presence at the event will be absent. Fans will miss out on updates regarding projects like “Haunted Mansion,” “Inside Out 2,” and “Avatar 3.”
- Netflix: Having recently held its own convention, TUDUM, where numerous announcements were made, Netflix won’t be making a splash at Comic-Con this year.
- Sony: While Sony has held panels in the past, it won’t be attending this year, depriving fans of potential updates on projects like “Gran Turismo,” “Kraven the Hunter,” and new entries in the Spider-Man universe.
- Universal: Similar to Sony, Universal is not known for massive Comic-Con panels but has several upcoming projects that would fit the event. Unfortunately, the studio won’t be participating this year.
- AMC: The status of AMC’s attendance is uncertain, primarily due to the pending actors strike. While the Walking Dead panels have been popular in previous years, details for this year’s event remain unclear.
- Apple: Reports regarding Apple TV+’s presence at Comic-Con are inconclusive, leaving fans unsure if they can expect updates on series like “Silo,” “Foundation,” and “The Afterparty.”
San Diego Comic-Con 2023 promises an intriguing lineup of attendees and noticeable absences. While major brands like Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Netflix won’t be present, other studios such as Paramount, Prime Video, and Warner Bros. might offer exciting updates. With uncertainties surrounding other studios and potential surprises in store, Comic-Con attendees can still look forward to an engaging and memorable event. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available, and get ready to immerse yourself in the world of comics, movies, and entertainment at San Diego Comic-Con 2023.